The Best and Worst of NYC: #10 The Humans of New York

Whenever I would travel to a new city, I made sure I did my fair share of research of where I would be staying, the food, and the attractions. Rarely did I really dive into the demographics. I think that was just based on prior bias that I had going into choosing where to go, and what type of getaway or vacation was expected. Think of it as a pre determined bias of who I thought would inhabit such places. It sounds like I'm describing a zoo or something but I promise you I have a point. 
Dinner under the Brooklyn Bridge

When traveling to New York City, we generally have an idea of this rude, manic, in a rush type of being that you would find on the streets. They would push you into the subway car, or bump into you during the morning rush on the crowded streets in Flatiron. Yell at you if you took to long ordering coffee in your local Dunkin, and lets not mention the road rage you might experience driving from the Manhattan bridge onto the West side Highway during the morning rush. 

During my first 3 months of learning my way into and out of the city traffic, train life and just normal errands, I learned how the accuracy of the stigma of the humans of New York that I had seen in movies, and read about was 80% my reality. Don't get me wrong, that 20% cant go unmentioned. Their are people I've come across that weren't as rude, direct, or aggressive as your usual New Yorker, and for them, I am grateful. They made my experience feel closer to LA's chill atmosphere, but no matter what, I believe I was destined to live in NY and experience this lifestyle, raw and uncut. 



The Monday after Easter 2014 I started working at one of the most profitable retail stores in the heart of Times Square. I was so nervous that it was going to be a nightmare, the building was the largest I'd ever worked in, and on top of the that the traffic was moving so fast, it was hard to keep up with whom was a customer shopping, and who was actually working. 
I remember on my first day I couldn't remember how to get into the building (I had a super quick tour a few days before starting), being that I was an employee I couldn't just walk thru the front door, they had a secret employee entrance, we had badges, etc. But I do remember, that hardly anyone directed me to where I needed to go. Everyone that I asked looked at me like I had tourist on my forehead, and just waited for the next .person to answer. I quickly learned how I needed to just, act like I knew my way when adapting into this new environment, no one was there to "hold my hand' as I have had in the past being in Los Angeles or nearby for all my life. I've always found some sort of comfort in knowing my way around a new environment, or even having a friend that worked nearby took some edge for me.

Anyway, for the next 20 months I would make at least 100 new friends, from people who were working in corporate offices, born and raised new Yorkers and others that were just like me who moved here to find that creative energy they'd been longing for. I can tell you my experience dealing with people of this city but natives and newcomers was nothing short of how its depicted in your favorite movies. I adapted some of their habits of making sure my voice is heard in room full of loud shit talking, and also felt myself becoming a lot more assertive and direct when speaking.
I guess after experiences like these I put the people of New York as number 10 on my list of Best & Worst of my time/or experiences while living in NYC. I've come across some amazing beings and some cut throat AF people as well. Overall they've introduced me to new cultures, food, style, and lifestyles that I'm grateful to have gotten a chance to experience, and takeaway, adding them to part of my life's rituals. 



Dear Humans of New York, thank you for making me tougher, more aware, and open to learning more about other cultures outside of my own. Everyday on those trains, walking the streets, and working with you, I gained so much inspiration and knowledge. I will be forever grateful. 





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts